On 2 nd April 2018 NPPA issued notification No. 1461(E), 1462(E), 1463(E) and 1464(E) notifying Price Revision as per Annual Wholesale Price Index (WPI) @ 3.43812% increase.
16. Revision of ceiling price of scheduled formulations.–
(1) The Government shall revise the ceiling prices of scheduled formulations as per the annual wholesale price index (WPI) for preceding calendar year on or before 1st April of every year and notify the same on the 1st day of April every year.
(2) The manufacturers may increase the maximum retail price (MRP) of scheduled formulations once in a year, in the month of April, on the basis of the wholesale price index with respect to previous calendar year and no prior approval of the Government in this regard shall be required.
(3) Information about the revision, if carried out, shall be forwarded to the Government in either electronic or physical form in Form-II within a period of fifteen days of such revision and non-submission of information under this sub-paragraph shall be construed as non revision of maximum retail price (MRP) and the concerned manufacturer shall be liable to deposit the amount charged over and above the pre-revised maximum retail price (MRP), alongwith interest thereon from the date of overcharging.
(4) In case of decline in wholesale price index, there shall be a corresponding reduction in the maximum retail price and in case of scheduled formulations produced or available in the market before the date of notification of revised ceiling price, the manufacturers shall ensure within a period of forty-five days of the date of such notification that the maximum retail price (MRP) of such scheduled formulation does not exceed the revised ceiling price (plus local taxes as applicable) and information about the revision shall be sent to the Government in either electronic or physical form in Form-II within a period of fifteen days of such revision.
(5) Non-submission of information under the sub-paragraph (4) shall be construed as non reduction in maximum retail price (MRP) and the concerned manufacturer shall be liable to deposit the amount charged over and above the maximum retail price revised based on decline in wholesale price index, alongwith interest thereon as overcharged amount from the date of overcharging.
All manufacturers/marketeers/importers who wish to increase MRP as per WPI may do so in the month of April itself and send the report as per above provisions to NPPA within April , otherwise the increase will be construed as unauthorised subject to recovery of overcharged amount by NPPA.